House of the Future
of the cost of typical ownership
kWhs saved per year
High-speed connectivity brings exciting new possibilities to our daily lives. A demonstration house-of-the-future can show practical applications for high-speed fiber and generate demand for new technologies. Open source development of applications will encourage collaboration and innovation and give more people access to new opportunities. A gigabit-connected home equipped with state-of-the-art hardware will serve as both an “open-source” testing ground for entrepreneurs and a demonstration site for the public.
- Encourage efforts already underway to develop demonstration homes and exhibits. In addition, MBIT recommends:
- Identify pilot projects with the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), area homebuilders, real-estate agents and building managers.
- Work with professional associations such as the AIA and USGBC to raise awareness about incorporating new technologies into building design.
- Find technology and construction partners to lead pilot projects.
Benefits & Outcomes
- Develop expertise in the Kansas City metropolitan area around technology-oriented construction and building design.
- Showcase ways to use high-speed Internet access in the homes, such as utilities, appliances, alarm systems, telemedicine, education and telecommuting.
- Innovations in home design can spur economic development.