Code for KC Midpoint Roundup
Monday, August 31
Sprint Accelerator Upstairs Room
Free with RSVP
Plug into what’s been going on in civic tech in Kansas City on Monday, August 31, from 6-8pm when the Code for KC Brigade presents its HackKC Midpoint Roundup!
Join us upstairs in the big room at the Sprint Accelerator for pizza and geeking out as we hear progress reports from teams who participated in HackKC: The National Day of Civic Hacking hackathon this past June.
We’ll also welcome people from the community with ideas for technology projects to come pitch their ideas.
Meet the Teams
Since the HackKC hackathon in June, six teams have been working hard at our weekly Hack Night to develop apps that citizens of Kansas City will use to enhance the way they interact with their local government and communities around them.
Come meet the teams & engage with their work!
- SafeAssist: Emergency response app for police and other first responders to access info about the scene of an emergency before they arrive.
- CommunityKC: Visualization and management tool for community-based projects
- People Hub: Gamified app to acknowledge and to reward brigade member contributions, to keep everyone in the loop, to encourage team collaboration.
- N-hood Dashboard: working to help neighborhoods help themselves by giving them easy access to useful data to allow them to identify and track problem areas in their neighborhood.
- Parcel Assessment Tool: a tool that can be used to create more transparency in land ownership, zoning and entitlements for specified sites.
- Storefront Street Tree: allowing business owners to more easily plant trees in treewells outside their businesses
- Data Sharing Agreement/Smart Contract: a tool for city managers to navigating the legal issues that arise with data-oriented “smart city” projects
Learn more about the projects at http://codeforkc.org/
6:00-6:30 – Arrivals, Networking, Pizza
6:30 – 7:30 – Project Presentations
7:30-7:40 – New Project Pitches
7:40-8:00 – Project Fair
Hackers Wanted: No Experience Necessary
Each team is planning for a November — and they need your help! At this event, each team will talk about what they need help with, could be design work, coding, UX, writing, collecting data, or something on the back end. Whether you’re a veteran coder, a rookie hacker, or someone with no coding experience but just wants to help, come on down and plug into a team. You’ll learn something new and make new friends!
Pitch Your Civic Tech Idea
Got an idea for an app to make Kansas City better? This is your chance to pitch your idea to the entire Brigade and its network. Before you come, please submit your idea using this Project Submission Form
If you have questions, contact Paul Barham, email@example.com.
Please RSVP so that we know how many snacks & drinks to bring.