About this event
The MetroLab Network is an international collaborative of 28 cities, 6 counties, and 36 universities focused on civic research and innovation.
KC Digital Drive hosts two symposiums each year designed for universities and those working in city government to convene and help advance collaborative projects and share information and resources.
The workshop will be held from 8:00 – 11:30 AM on Tuesday, April 19th at the KU Edwards Campus BEST Conference Center – 12600 S Quivira Rd, Overland Park, KS 66213.
Spring 2022 – Infrastructure | Research Opportunities Aligned with ARPA/IIJA Projects
7:30 – 8:00 AM Light breakfast, coffee
8:00 – 8:30 AM Welcome & Announcements
- MetroLab National / Future of Civic Innovation Challenge – Kate Garman Burns, MetroLab Network, Executive Director
- National Smart Coalitions Partnership – Tyler Svitak, Colorado Smart Cities Alliance, Executive Director
- KCMO Emerging Technology Board – Kate Bender, KCMO, Chief Analytics Officer
8:30 – 9:15 AM MetroLab project updates
- Carole Bowe Thompson, UMKC, Community Health Research Group,Jackson County – Our Healthy Eastside
- Kesa Herlihy, KU School of Nursing, Simulation Education Program, Director – MetaVersity
- Dietrich Earnhart, KU, Professor, Department of Economics – Prevention of Consumer Food Waste in a Restaurant Setting
9:15 – 9:30 AM Quick hits and open project help requests
- Mike Floberg, KDOT, Director of Innovative Technologies – KDOT’s Innovative Technology Grant
9:30 – 11:00 AM Presentations with open discussion on incorporating research / evaluation into ARPA / IIJA investments, featuring:
- Bill Maguire – Connect Communities Consulting
- Melissa Kozakiewicz – Chief Innovation Officer, Asst City Manager, City of Kansas City
- Joe Connor – Asst County Manager, Johnson County, KS
- Harold Johnson – County Commissioner, 4th District, Unified Government of Wyandotte County & Kansas City, KS
11:00 – 11:30 AM Deep dive into spending buckets, priorities, where research is / is not anticipated or incorporated
Parking Instructions: https://edwardscampus.ku.edu/event-space-campus-map
Guests can park in ‘Lot B’, off 125th Street.
- Masks are optional.
- No smoking on campus.
- Please try to have appropriate physical distance between others.
- Do not attach anything to the walls or curtains, without prior approval.