Proof-of-concept Projects Funded for Area Startups
New KC-area Companies Created
In Follow-on Funding
Develop rapid prototype demonstration and manufacturing facilities that allow vendors and entrepreneurs to test new designs and concepts without major capital expenditures.
Proof-of-concept labs provide vendors, businesses, organizations and residents with the ability to quickly develop, test and demonstrate creative products and concepts from a wide variety of manufacturers at a single location. Fabrication labs, with equipment and space available on a short- or long-term rental basis, allow small businesses and entrepreneurs to develop
prototypes and test products without large capital investments.
- Develop a business plan for a Proof-of-Concept lab in the Kansas City area.
- Work with the vendor community to develop a member subscription model to generate revenue to support the lab.
- Develop a panel of beta testers.
- Research existing entrepreneurial workspaces in the regionand develop plans to fill any gaps.
Benefits & Outcomes
- Quicker solutions to market
- Ability to share best practices
- Accelerated innovation
- Lower costs for all participants.
- Digital Sandbox won i6 Challenge Grant; opened in early 2013; selected 15 companies for proof-of-concept funding; and provided support to nearly 100 additional startups
- Kansas City hosts the fourth-largest Maker Faire in the US (behind San Francisco, New York, and Detroit)
- Hammerspace and Cowtown Computer Congress have gained greater visibility and attracted more members
- MakerSpace established in Johnson County Central Library